Jessie the Yodelin' Cowgirl
is a character of the Disney/Pixar film franchise, Toy Story. She is a rag doll cowgirl toy with a vintage pull-string mechanism, where one would pull the string to activate a phonograph-like mechanism that played sounds. She is voiced by Joan Cusack.
A traditional toy from the late 1950's, Jessie is a ragdoll replica of the character from the Woody's Roundup television show. Her assembly is almost entirely hand-made, including a hand-painted face and braided yarn hair on her vinyl head, naturally dyed chaps blanket stitched to her legs, authentic pearl-colored snap-buttons as would be found on Cowboy shirts of the time, vinyl hands, soft, textured vinyl belt and boots, genuine denim jeans, a yellow belt buckle, and a hand-stitched felt hat
Jessie also features a sewn-in pull-string mechanism that uses a miniature record within a plastic shell. When the string is pulled, the needle in the miniature record player drops on one of several grooves, thus playing voice clips at random. The speed regulator within the mechanism also causes the string to retract slowly, so that the voice from the record plays at the proper and consistent speed.
Unlike Woody, Jessie's pull-string has never been pulled in the movies, so it is unknown what her phrases may be, though it is likely she has nine like the Prospector and Woody.
Toy Story 2 Edit
- Pull-String Talking Jessie
- Released by Thinkway Toys in 1999 for Toy Story 2, Jessie is a pull-string doll made from similar materials as the original talking Woody doll. She includes her hat, made of plastic, and is fairly inaccurate to the films, being far too bulky. She speaks six phrases as follows
- Howdy, I'm Jessie!
- The Roundup gang is back in town!
- Hey, you've got to take care of yourself!
- Hey! There's a snake in your boot!
Some versions of this doll feature plastic hair, and some feature accurate yarn hair. It is unknown if one version superseded the other or if this difference was geographic.
- Toy Story Signature Collection
|Buzz, could you get up here and give me a hand?|